PROJECT SCOPE AND GOALS
The goal of this project is to discover how frequently any of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) appear in the Course Intended Outcomes (CIO) of HCC's general education courses. We chose to first map the CIOs because, unlike specific pedagogical practices and course materials used by individual instructors, CIOs are a consistent variable across all course sections. Visit the 2021-2022 Catalog for a list of applicable courses.
Using the feedback from this survey, we hope to get a broad scope of how frequently concepts of sustainability are introduced to students within any given educational pathway at HCC to better inform future dialogue, planning, and projects related to sustainability at HCC.
Why the UN's 17 SDGs?
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), are a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. - from the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Sustainable Development
We believe the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals are an ideal mechanism to discuss the broad concepts of sustainability and focus efforts into manageable outcomes that take into account the complex way our diverse and global society interacts with and depends upon the environment. Additionally, this project is inspired by a variety of other course mapping initiatives at other colleges and universities. Visit the list of resources at the end of this guide for links to other projects.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAPPING
- Take a few minutes to review the main scope of each sustainable development goal using the UN's Overview of the 17 Goals
- Don't worry, there are many resources embedded into the mapping document to help you!
- Once you are ready to map, have a copy of your course syllabus or other documents that list the most up-to-date version of the course intended outcomes.
- Use the link below to access the document - you will be asked to log in to your HCC account (this is to help with data integrity).
- Review one course at a time based on the course prefix and number. Do not enter other course information such as title, section number, delivery method, or campus.
- You will be asked if there is at least one outcome that directly incorporates or addresses the goal, with three options for response:
- Yes - and if yes, the option to list how or why you chose this answer
- No - you will be prompted to the next goal
- Maybe - if you aren't sure or confident, based on your interpretation of the goal or outcome go ahead and say maybe!
- Remember - it is OK if the CIOs only match with one or two goals (or none!). We just want to get an overall view.
Overview of the 17 Goals
[Video] Do you know all 17 SDGs?
Other Mapping Projects
Mapping a university’s research outputs to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
[Webinar] Mapping University contributions to the SDGs
University of Auckland SDG Keywords Dictionary Project
University of Southern Denmark: SDG Analysis Tool