Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Everyone has his or her own method of conducting academic research. Here are a few tips that are useful for conducting an effective search.
1. Read over your assignment instructions carefully.
2. Visit the library and librarian.
3. Search for your topic in an encyclopedia. HCC has encyclopedias available in print or online.
4. Read the encyclopedia article to get a better understanding of your topic.
5. Search for articles about your topic using Opposing Viewpoints or Gale Student Edition.
6. Read over your research materials.